Saturday, September 6, 2014

Of Bread and Butter


Butter is now a growing trend in America. The science of fat is evolving and our eating habits are changing because of it.

I just finished reading this NPR article about the rising consumption of butter in comparison to the 1990s when the household favorite was margarine.

I admit it was the same in my childhood home. I remember loving "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!". I'd put tablespoons of it on a single piece of toast, cook my two egg sausage biscuits in it, and melt it over my already-buttered microwave popcorn - just for that extra kick. And that would be first breakfast. Don't get me started on second breakfast.

The feeling of more Americans accepting something like real butter in their diets, and the article's mention of the growing trend of clean eating diets, gives me a bit of a hipster feeling.

"I was eating butter before it was cool."

But then, is Paula Deen a pioneer? I wouldn't complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment